Despite the odd new love for the Gospel of Thomas in the Hebrew Roots Movement, this is a love affair that will result in the same fashion as a Glenn Close, Michael Douglas movie made back in....I donno 1987.
I find it rather scary that the same people who told me to stay away from the Rabbinical sources, are the same ones gravitating towards something that is considered a "Gnostic Gospel". It makes as much sense as Clint Howard playing Humprey Bogart in a multi-million Universal release of the life of Bogie.
Now I have read the Gospel of Thomas and I read it back in 2004, the Gospel of Thomas claims to be the "secret sayings of Jesus" one of this things I realized is the Buddhist influence in the Fraud...I mean Gospel of Thomas. The Messiah was painted a mix of Archie Bunker, meets, Guru Pinka (Mike Myers character from the Love Guru), meets Dr Gregory House. And at times a drunk Oreson Welles. At times I thought I was reading the Stanley Kubrick script from A.I. Or like I was watching Pulp Fiction on a Meth-bender.
Is that enough pop culture references? Ya get the cut of my jib so we can get into the meat of this now? Now I do not wanna get off on a rant here......well again maybe I do. But lets look at what some Hebrew roots believers are reading in the Gospel of Thomas:
- “Let Mary (Magdalene) go out from among us, because women are not worthy of the Life."
- : “See I shall lead her, so that I will make her male, that she too may become a living spirit, resembling you males. For every woman who makes herself male will enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”
- "Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death."
- "Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human. And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human."
- "I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended."
- Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits"
- "After all, what goes into your mouth will not defile you; rather, it's what comes out of your mouth that will defile you."
- Jesus said, "Two will recline on a couch; one will die, one will live."
- Jesus said, "I will destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to rebuild it [...]."
- He turned to his disciples and said to them, "I'm not a divider, am I?"
- Jesus said, "Let one who has become wealthy reign, and let one who has power renounce the wealthy"
- Jesus said, "Adam came from great power and great wealth, but he was not worthy of you. For had he been worthy, [he would] not [have tasted] death."
- Jesus said, "God D*** the Pharisees"